Pages

Monday 28 September 2015

What Would Jesus Do?

Before I prepare a sermon I spend quite a lot of time seeking God for direction for what I should be speaking about.  If I have lots of advance notice I often spend time praying over several weeks just to find out where God wants me to go.  I always feel a great responsibility when I'm ministering and I have a deep desire to get it right.  God frequently leads me to something that ends up challenging me personally, so often I am under conviction as I'm speaking.  That's a good thing, but it can make it hard.


This past Sunday I had my first speaking opportunity since taking on my role as "Director of Spiritual Formation" at The Mission.  I chose the title "In His Steps", after the book, but the real point of my message was this.  "Are we prepared as Christians to live as Jesus did?".  Of course I don't really mean to suggest we can live exactly the lifestyle that Jesus did, but to ask if we are prepared to adopt his priorities and live our lives in a way that is truly pleasing to God.  In my message I summarized Jesus' priorities in three statements.


  • He sought God
  • He loved others
  • He was committed to the will of God


For myself I found it quite challenging.  Pastor Paul has a fantastic way of introducing humour to his messages, lightening up the mood when it becomes heavy.  I don't have that ability much, and when I sat down at the conclusion I found myself wondering, "Was I too hard?  Could I have found a way to present this message so it would be a bit lighter or compassionate?"  After all, my goal is to provoke spiritual growth, not to make people feel down or inadequate.

Many people expressed positive comments following the service, and that made me feel a bit better.  Still, I had to continue asking myself if I should have done something different.  Here are the conclusions I came to.

1. This was definitely the sermon God gave me to preach.  I spent a lot of time seeking Him for direction, and I'm comfortable I had the right message.

2. I used a lot of scripture, relying on the Word of God to teach us.  All the scripture I chose was used in the right context.  I didn't stretch anything to make it fit, as preachers are sometimes tempted to do.

3. I believe all my comments were true.  I couldn't think later of anything I shouldn't have said or should take back.

4. I believe it was a message we need to hear.  Even if you didn't, I did.

It was a serious message for sure, and it left many of us with some things to ponder.  I truly hope the result was not to leave anyone depressed or discouraged, but challenged and encouraged to do the kind of reflection that will lead to a greater commitment to live like Jesus.  I referred on Sunday to 1 John 2:6, which says "Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did."  The Bible clearly tells us that as Christians we are to study the life of Jesus.  His life ought to be the model for how we decide our priorities, how we relate to others, how we make decisions, how we invest the short life we have on planet Earth. 

A commitment to follow in the steps of Jesus might sound like an onerous task, or even an unpleasant way to live.  Yet I am convinced that the closer we emulate Jesus in our day to day living, the more rewarding and fruitful and fulfilling our lives will become.  Living for God involves responsibilities.  There's no getting around that.  Yet the blessings that come from a life that is pleasing to God far outweigh any price we could ever pay.  God wants us to live like Jesus because he wants to bless us, and through us everyone we come in contact with.

I don't expect all of my ministry to be quite this heavy or "in your face".  At least I really hope not.  I am going to trust you will understand my heart and know my desire on Sunday was not to hit anyone over the head, but to help, while being faithful and obedient in proclaiming the word of God as He gave it to me.  

Thank you for allowing me to join with you as we travel together on a spiritual journey, allowing God to transform us into the people He wants us to be.

Please check out the announcements in the section "COMING UP AT THE MISSION".  If you would like to make comments on anything at all, or ask any questions, please post them in the comments section below.

Rob


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please post here.