Pages

Tuesday 17 November 2015

SO YOU'RE FEELING LIKE YOU JUST CAN'T DO IT? GOOD!

Lately God has been reminding me of a lesson he taught me rather dramatically a number of years ago.  The lesson is pretty easy to say, but a lot harder to put into practice.  It comes from John 15:5 when Jesus said "Apart from me you can do nothing."  I take that to mean that if I want to do something for God, some kind of ministry with spiritual goals, I'd better not try to do it on my own.  I'm just not capable.

I've been feeling the truth of that very much in the last week or two especially as I contemplate the ministry God has set before me at The Mission.  Helping people on the journey of spiritual growth.  Oh, I can put programs in place and teach lessons, but it's got to be so much more than that.  All the programs and Bible lessons in the world are not going to have the effect we want unless people are motivated, unless people really want to grow in Christ and are willing to do what it takes to get there.  Now that's something I surely can't do.  

I've known this from the beginning, but lately I've been sensing in an even greater way the challenge of the ministry and the need for God to go ahead and do the many things I can't possibly do on my own.


What about you?  Do you sometimes have trouble remembering the importance of being dependent on God in your life and ministry?  Do you find yourself occasionally relying on your own talents or training or hard work to accomplish something, when the reality is there is no hope of being effective unless God is in control?

Are you a Mission Kids worker, a small group leader, a worship team member, a board member, a deacon?  Are you someone who is attempting to have a Christian witness to a neighbour or co-worker or relative?  

Wherever and however you are working to serve God the message is the same.  Jesus says "Apart from me you can do nothing.".  If you find yourself frustrated with lack of progress, or overwhelmed with the task; if you are crying out "I just can't do this!", you're absolutely right.  In fact that's a very positive thing because now you've reached the place where you are ready to depend on the God who can take our meager talents and multiply them like loaves and fishes into something that is truly useful.  When we acknowledge our need for God in everything we do, He can step in and take control. That's the key to successful ministry.

As often as I've had to learn this lesson I have to keep learning it over and over again.  So maybe you're like me.  What I've just written is not new to you.  You know the verse and you understand the principle.  But maybe you need to be confronted from time to time with the truth that you can only succeed in what God called you to do if you are absolutely dependent on Him.

So here's your reminder.  And here's the other half of the lesson, another important verse to take with you.


"For I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength."  Philippians 4:13

(If you find this blog to be informative or helpful, feel free to forward it to someone else who may benefit from these weekly thoughts on God's word.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please post here.