Pages

Wednesday 13 January 2016

MY BEST, OR GOD'S BEST?

I just completed my 2015 report for The Mission's annual meeting, though in my case it's really only for a few months. I began my report with a verse of scripture.  It's the same verse I used to begin each of my reports for the past several years while Director at CEFOntario.  

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain."   Psalm 127:1

This is one of the greatest lessons I have learned in all of my years in Christian ministry.  I have introduced my reports with this verse for a number of years now, not just to make a statement to others, but to remind myself of how essential it is for a person in Christian ministry to keep in mind who is really in control.

Lots of us, myself included, have a tendency to slip into a self reliance.  We have some abilities. We have gained some experience over the years.  The more we do a job the easier it is to fall into the trap of feeling we have what it takes to succeed on our own.  We don't say it out loud. We probably don't even think it, but our actions betray us.  We offer a quick prayer once in a while, if even that, rather than spending quality time before God seeking his wisdom and help for the ministries He has called us to.  Instead of acknowledging in our hearts that we are totally dependent on God, in effect we say, "Thanks God, but I can take of this on my own.  I'll call you when I really need you."  

The tragedy is that we can give the appearance of doing something useful, even to the extent of fooling ourselves into thinking something is being accomplished. But the absolute truth is that in a spiritual work with spiritual goals, we cannot accomplish God's purposes on our own no matter how smart or talented or hard working we are.  Unless God is in charge, and a full partner in our work every day, we are labouring in vain.

Preachers, teachers, worship leaders, children's workers, deacons, board members, etc.  It doesn't matter what the job is we are called to in God's service, the principle is the same.  If we do it on our own we get what man is capable of.  (in a spiritual work that is little or nothing)  If we partner with God we get what He is capable of. I don't know about you, but when I'm labouring in ministry I would really rather see what God is capable of, than be limited to what I can do.  I want to see miracles happen on a regular basis, and that means God has to be in control.

This is not the last time you will hear me talk about this principle at The Mission.  If nothing else, I need to keep reminding myself.  

It's pretty simple really.  God called me to do a job.  I want to succeed.  I can't succeed unless God is my senior partner and actively involved in the work every day.  Isn't that what you want for your ministry?  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome. Please post here.